Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Trying to start as close to day one

Okay trying to start from day one; without journal entries and relying solely on my not so great memory.
I wish I could remember the exact date..if I could get ahold of my mom right now I could. But from memory only like I said here we go.
Driving home from St. George with my sister Darcie at the bottom of the black ridge I told her "something" I am not sure what it was that I said to her but whatever it was I repeated again by the time we reached the top of the Black Ridge..this something was obviously not something that people tend to repeat like many do, if you know what I mean. She said "THAT'S IT!" you are going to the doctor!! I had recently given birth to my youngest son Kye and had passed my headaches, memory loss, high blood pressure, hair loss, depth perception etc. on hormones but Darcie had had it and she was sure that I needed to see the doctor. While working as a hairdresser, having a newborn, a 2 yr old daughter and just being a wife and mother I was putting "my problems" on the back burner. While working one day at the salon my headache was worse than the norm that I had been dealing with, it had me down and when I say that I mean laying down feeling faint and VERY scared so I called an aunt of mine and asked her if I could get an appointment to see a doctor would she come get me and take me because I was in no shape to drive, she agreed. I called a few different doctors offices and one could get me in right then so Yo came and got me and off we were to the doc. The Dr examined me, I had extremely high blood pressure and after a few minutes his diagnoses was "sinus infection" after hearing that I let the doctor know that I knew I wasn't a doctor but just with my EMT skills I KNEW we were not dealing with a sinus infection. But the Dr. informed me that there are many sinus infections that are very painful and cause these symptoms and wanted me to take an anti-biotic. When we left the doctor I had Yo take me back to work with my script in hand which I was not going to fill. So after having a few more days with exteme pain and the other symptoms I saw another doctor, actually a CFNP that I had used as my "preferred provider" he was a little boggled and we decided to have me take blood pressure medication because high blood pressure can cause terrible headaches. So I took this medication for maybe a week when one day I fainted at home due to my blood pressure being too low. I had given up I had seen 2 different doctors a few different times and noone seemed to know what was going on. So I decided to just wait it out and suffer while doing it. My whole family that lives in a small town all knew about what I was suffering with and being a close family they all were trying to help in anyway they could, looking on the internet for causes of the symptoms that I had and other ways. My grandma had asked to me give it one more try, go and see "her" doctor, I didn't want to but because I love my grandma so dearly and I could see it pained and worried her for me to be in pain and suffering the way I was I agreed. I went and saw her doctor. His name was Doctor Bruce Hendrix. He examined me from head to toe then ordered some tests to have me do, go to the eye doctor, get a CT scan and some blood work and I was to reschedule to see him in a couple of days and get my test results. The day I went in I had taken my grandma with me, she was to have a test done then we would both go in and see Dr. Hendrix and see what results the tests would have for me. Well grandma's test was a little longer than planned so I patiently waited for her in the doctors office also waiting for my name to be called to see the doctor. I remember sitting there secretly praying that my grandma would get done in time to hear my results, I had a strong feeling that my results were going to be bad...well I heard my name called and grandma wasn't there to be with me so I decided to put my big girl panties on and just go and hear what had to be said on my own AND deal with it. It wasn't long before Dr. Hendrix entered the room and sat on his stool (you know the ones they always sit on) and he began talking I don't remember what he said before I heard the words "brain tumor" and that hit me pretty hard the doctor continued talking about what needed to be done next and that he was trying to get ahold of a Neurosurgeon which at the time I had NO idea what that meant. I sat quietly and then forced out the words.....I'm scared, Dr. Hendrix then answered with "I'm sorry I wish I could tell you not to be" with what looked to me like a tear in his eye. After what felt like the longest 5 minutes of my life there was a knock on the door, I knew it would be my grandma; well I hoped anyway. It was, she came in and the doctor began to tell her what he had told me and I don't know why, if it was because my grandma was there and I didn't have to be the "strong adult" or whatever but at that moment I lost it and tears were streaming. I didn't know it right then but this would be the start to my 6 year hell in pain and 13 brain surgeries to come..so right now I need to go fix my son lunch and continue "existing" in my everyday life but I will write more later when I have the time. This will not be easy for me for numerous reasons but I feel the need to share my experiences with those of you that are interested.

3 comments:

  1. Love it! I am defintiely going to keep reading! Keep writing...you will be glad you did!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad that you are finally doing this. You need to and others need to read it. LOVE YOU!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love you Dayna! I am sorry for all the s**t that you have had to endure. You know Heavenly Father gives the strong ones, the hardest challenges. I know this is true in your case. Please never give up! You are always in my prayers!!!

    ReplyDelete